Sunday, June 14, 2009

Does that mean that I'm cool too?

Just in case you haven't heard they made another Star Trek movie. This Star Trek movie, however, is different from the last 10. This one is cool. The highest grossing Star Trek movie before this one was Star Trek: First Contact which made about 90 million dollars. The newest movie has made over 230 million dollars after 6 weeks in the theaters. It is the highest grossing movie of the year. It also received a 95% rating on rotten tomatoes, a film critique web site. Reviews usually started off by saying something like, "I'm not a Star Trek fan but..." then they would say how cool the movie was.

My question is, I am a Star Trek fan, can i be cool too? Or is this some kind of weird paradox where the movie is cool but the fans are not. All the critics gave their disclaimer, they are not Star Trek fans but they thought the movie was cool. So they were intentionally separating themselves from other people like me who are Star Trek fans and are not cool but like a cool movie. Huh?

Actually, i know the answer, i am not cool. I did a count today and the last 13 books i read were Star Trek novels. I am definetly not cool. And i think that i'm ok with that.

3 comments:

Breanna said...

Gene! You are way cool!:) That's why I married you!

EngineeringNerd said...

Gene:

I think you are pretty cool. I read some nerdy books too. The trick be looking a little more cool is add a few non-geek books into the mix. :)

Reflections on Life said...

Gene I think you are the coolest but then I'm not predjudice:) Anyway cool doesn't matter once you get out of high school some of the really cool kids turn out to be un-cool.